- A1 paper
- Colour pencil
- Felt tip
This is the final drawing. Although it wasn’t originally going to be. I have decided to finish part two here as I am months behind my set date to finish. The next section evolves lots of drawing al fresco and the days are getting colder. So its time to get a move on whilst I can sit outside with out freezing.
I wanted to further the experimentation with inks. This time I lightly drew the out lines of my fruity subjects in my A4 sketcher. Next I used a large flat brush to cover the fruits surface areas with water. I left an area dry on the lemon hoping it would work as a reflection, which I am pleaded it did. I then dripped ink on to the wet ares and watched the coloured blobs spread and mingle with one another. I tilted the book a little to encourage interesting drip shapes. I added salt in the hope of getting more texture and left to dry. Then I used the same method for the shadows. I was really happy when a drip escaped the water surface and made a perfect pear stork shadow quite by chance. I finished them of by flicking a bit of ink about. There’s defiantly something I like in these illustrations and will most certainly be furthering my ink exploits in the future.
So taken with the ink fruits in the sketch book I set about trying the same approach on a large sheet of wall paper underlay that I often use for large experimental stuff as you can perches a large roll for very little. As you can see I enjoyed the process and got cared away flicking and splashing. Prior to this I had painted around a rectangle which I left white in green ink. I intended this to be a hole that would become the view from the window and the interior I was going to do in chalk as the first drawing I made for assignment two over the green ink. I have found the calks to be very opaque so can cover under colours with ease.
In the end I decided to use the prepped paper for the fruit and bag drawing you see instead. This came about after the OCA trip to Paper at Saatchi gallery. I was sort of in the mind set of being a bit out there, throwing cation to the wind and fancied doing a drawing without to much fore thought just using the exuberant energy that resulted from the excursion.
Next up I drew in the bag the fruits where in in colouring pencil. I thought building up the cross hatching delicately would be a good way to go to depict the thin, flimsy, translucent quality of the bag. When I started I must confess to loosing patients (as you can see). Also being conscious not to take to long over the drawing. I know from the Lilly drawing if I am to create some thing like that it means many many hours of work and time was tight. So I opted for this lose ( I like to think Hokney) style of hatching which was much quicker. Hay, I think you can tell its a bag which is the main thing! I enjoyed drawing in the writhing. Sadly it dose not stretch as far to the left as it should, which is a shame.
I used felt tip to do a spot of stippling on the fruits to give them more definition and form. I think this has worked to brake them up from a homogenous blob into individual fruits.
Finally I used charcoal to mark in the back ground. I wanted to use mono tone so the bag of fruit would be the focus. The perspective and scale is a bit all over the shop but I don’t hate this drawing, though I’m sure many would. Be interesting to here my tutors feed back..
I would have liked to have done one more drawing. Including the sink, widow, konk shell, washing liquid bottles, the bag of fruit and maybe even a fish. I would have liked to have experimented with the inks on a thick water colour paper. I’m sure this would leave a more satisfactory result than on the thin reluctantly absorbent wall paper underlay. However now is the time for me to move on from part two. I hope that I have just about done enough for this assignment.